USA Work Visa Duration – Different Types of Visas
A USA work visa duration will vary for different people who work within different fields of employment. This type of documentation is needed for foreign individuals who need temporary permission to work within the United States. At least 120,000 people will apply for temporary work visa each year. In 2014 the number was closer to 140,000.
The following material will briefly explain what a work visa is and what it can be used for. More importantly, it will define the term limits that a visa has for a broad category of people trying to work on a provisional basis within the U.S.
What is a work visa and USA Work Visa Duration?
A work visa is an important document that allows a person to work within the United States on a short-term basis. A work visa is just one type of visa that can be used by foreigners to legally enter the U.S. or any other country for that matter.
Visas are documents that basically give foreign people the ability to travel into different parts of the world. Since most people are not citizens of different countries these documents are necessary because they are used to identify and track a person who travels outside of their own nation of birth. A USA work visa duration will be noted on each type of visa.
What are the different types of visas?
There are many different types of visas that people can use to immigrate or visit other countries. They include entry, exit, non immigrant, immigrant and work visas. Keep in mind that there are more types of visas then the ones mentioned here.
There are visas for athletes (think Olympics), religious personnel (think missionaries) and other types of that can be used for professions, occupations and different purposes. Each of these documents has a different USA work visa duration term limit.
All about Work Visas
A work visa allows a foreigner to temporarily work within the United States. A USA work visa duration will vary depending on the type of job that a person does while they are in America. An H-1B visa is a common type of temporary work permit that can be used within the U.S. This type of visa allows people to work for at least 3 years but no more than 6.
A person could be given an extension to work more time if the government approves and if there is a real need for them to do so. Individuals who are using a work visa can also leave their country for a year and then reapply to come back for another 3 year term.
An H-2B visa is for temporary non agricultural workers. This visa typically has a limit for 1-year but can be extended for a greater period of time if an employer has a need.
Other types of work visas such as the P-2 Artist or Entertainer (Individual or Group) allows musical solo and group artists to stay within the U.S. for at least 1-year. They are able to get an extension if there is a proven need.
Here is a listing of all the USA work visa duration for different types of visas:
• H-1B: Person in Specialty Occupation – 3 years; 6 year extension
• H-1B1: Free Trade Agreement (FTA) Professional – 1 year with provisional extensions up to 2 years. Once again, this is the most common type of USA visa work duration length for any type of visa.
• H-2A: Temporary Agricultural Worker – 1 year with a limit of 3, 1 year extensions. A person will have to leave for at least 3 months before starting the process all over again.
• H-2B: Temporary Non-agricultural Worker – has a limit for 1 year but can be extended for a greater period of time if an employer has a need.
• H-3: Trainee or Special Education visitor – allows trainees to work for up to 2 years.
• L: Intracompany Transferee – individuals with this type of visa can stay for up to 3 years and extend their time up to 7. L-1B visa holders can have up to a 5 year extension.
• O: Individual with Extraordinary Ability or Achievement – people that use this visa can stay for up to 3 years with 1 year extensions.
• P-1: Individual or Team Athlete, or Member of an Entertainment Group – a person, team or entertainment group can stay up to 5 years with this type of visa.
• P-2: Artist or Entertainer (Individual or Group) – A 1 year stay with extensions when needed.
• P-3: Artist or Entertainer (Individual or Group) – A 1 year stay with extensions when needed.
• Q-1: Participant in an International Cultural Exchange Program – provides a 15 month stay and requires a person to leave for at least a year before they can reapply for this type of visa.
These are the basic USA visa work duration lengths that are available. This list provides a general outline of visa worker lengths and is not exhaustive. You find out more USA visa work duration term limits by evaluating the type of visa that you have in your possession.
Read Helpful Article About: How to Get American Work Visa