American Work Visa Requirements and Information
American Work Visa Requirements for foreigners
To leave and work in the United States is a dream for many people and it is actually an attainable dream if you meet certain requirements. Every foreigner in America needs to meet certain American work visa requirements if they are to legally engage in gainful employment.
At the same time, it is important that the foreigner fits into certain categories of people who are allowed to stay and work in the United States.
These categories include:
- Temporary workers
- Permanent residents
- Specialized or skilled employees
- Student and exchange program workers
American work visa requirements for temporary workers
A temporary worker as the name suggests is one who will be in the country for a limited period of time and does not intend to migrate to America. Such workers simply come for the duration of their employment and once that is finished they will return to their country. Examples of these could be people on working holiday who choose to do some work to finance their holiday in America.
To qualify for this temporary American work visa requirements you should have:
- Proof of your existing employment with a recognized employer
- Proof that you are qualified to take up the kind of employment you are seeking a visa for
- Show that you will actually return to your country of origin after your work is done
- The immigration official should be able to see how your employment will benefit America
- For people already in the country, you need to have legal status to be in the country for the period you will be in the country.
- Not have a criminal record for at least a 10 year period
- Never been deported from the USA in the past 10 years.
You can find other requirements for this visa on the website for the American Immigration service.
American work visa requirements for permanent workers
This visa is for people who intend to stay in the United States permanently. It applies to people like refugees as well as those who are immigrating to America under skilled workers program, as a result of marriage, winning a green card or any other legal means that would make you a permanent resident of America.
To qualify for the permanent worker’s visa in America you should have the following requirements:
- You need to be legally registered to live in the united states or
- You have applied to stay permanently in the USA and are awaiting approval for example if you have a green card from the Green Card lottery
- You qualify to live and work in the Country under the skilled worker’s program for professions like Doctors, Teachers, athletes, artists and the like.
- Your spouse is an American citizen and you are relocating to live with them in America
- You have been granted permanent residents under refugee status which allows you to engage in employment
- An American company has agreed to hire you and that company can prove that there is no one else in the country who is able to do the job they are hiring you to do
- You have a fairly good command of English which will help you execute your duties.
American work visa requirements for specialized skilled worker
A specialized skilled worker may or may not be a permanent resident. Sometimes professionals from other countries are employed to do particular tasks may be on contract and then they return to their country or they are granted citizenship on account of their skill. This could include speakers at a conference who are being paid to address the conference, doctors coming into the country to perform specialized surgeries as well as computer engineers setting up special software for example for NASA.
To get the American work visa as a specialized worker you need to meet the following requirements:
- You should have evidence of your qualification as a specialized professional
- There should be proof that you have been employed by an American employer or a company registered to operate in America
- For people like doctors, there should be verification of your qualifications by a medical body within the U.S that certifies your qualifications to work in the Country.
American work visa requirements for students
Foreign students of working age studying in America are allowed to apply for a work visa so that they can supplement their income either to pay for their tuition or cater for living expenses while they are pursuing their education in America.
To qualify for the American work visa requirements for students you must have the following:
- You need to have been admitted to a school in the united states with clear indication what course you will be pursuing and for how long.
- You need to have paid for at least one year of your education and have some money in your account for your upkeep as you find employment
- You need to show proof that you have actually attained a level of education that qualifies you to take on education at the level you say you will be trained in
- You are expected to have a good command of the language in which you will be studying and in America that is usually English.
It should also go without saying that for all the different categories, you will need to have a valid passport from your country of origin where the visa will be put. These American work visa requirements are in general but you can get details from the Embassy.
Read More About: How to Get American Work Visa